Once again I’m behind with the Ren Garb updates and again I’m sorry for it.
I finally got around to pinning and attaching the ribbon to the bodice today. All of the trim was attached by hand. Ouch! I really need to learn to use a thimble! :<
The front was fun to piece and everything. I had some issues trying to match the curve in the back but eventually got it to work. The key was many pins, hand sewing and then lots of steam. Steam pressing really is a beautiful thing. It makes me look like I know what I’m doing more often than I actually do. :>
I need to look at some pics and see if I want to add trim to the sleeves. I’m thinking I may just leave them untrimmed. That way I can save the ribbon for tieing on the sleeves, or maybe even to trim the bottom of the skirt.
I have been waffling with myself all week about that rose linen. I’ve changed my mind about 10 times already. Yesterday I was all ready to use it and this morning I didn’t like it anymore. I thought very seriously about using it, just as one side of a reversible sleeve (per rvqavalon
’s suggestion. My thought was, if I decided I didn’t like it with the rust I could always wear it with the purple wool.
In the end, however I decided that I agreed with elegant_musings
’s comment that it was ”just a little to 'eh'”
. I wasn’t sold on the green I had found the stash though. So I raided the scrap bin. Why I didn’t think of that sooner, I really don’t know! I found a green rayon I liked much better, as well as a light blue I thought would be a fun contrast. I have to line the sleeves anyway so I figure I might as well make some fun reversible sleeves. I then raided the ribbon stash and found some pretty green ribbon that goes with the green rayon perfectly. I tried going with more subdued, dark purples and black trims but they just looked drab. The effect of the greens, rust and blue is bright and fun and I’m happy. Bridget doesn’t like it, but then again she hasn’t said anything positive about the whole outfit yet so I’m ignoring her on it. Whatever.
I cut out the new sleeves, as well as the bodice lining, which I had forgotten. I also finished putting the skirt together today. Sewing the linen/rayon pieces was less traumatic than I feared it would be. That fabric really is a pain! I’m so glad that is the last piece of it in the house, as I don’t plan on ever working with it again!
I was afraid the linen/rayon/cotton lined results might be too limp. Unfortunately I didn’t have any felt or wool laying around (the two suggestions I’d read online) so I just used some iron-on interfacing. I actually used waist-band interfacing, cutting it in half and ironing it on. The skirt is hanging up now, all ready to be cartridge pleated. Fun, fun!
I started on the skirt today. I didn’t get too far on it though, just got the cotton lining put together and pressed. I also machine basted the rust and muslin interlining bodice pieces together. I’ve experienced the slipping, stretching and overall naughtiness of linen/rayon in the past. Mounting the rotten stuff to an interlining seemed a prudent step.